Wednesday

small luxuries

march 30, 2011

do we all have unrealistic expectations for ourselves?  i thought it was completely legitimate to think that my cast would come off at 8:10 am on thursday and by noon I would be back at the gym.  not even close.

i did get my cast off and then sat there with what was left of my arm rested on a pillow until the very busy doctor came to review the xrays with me and send me on my way.  but it took a while and i thought i better get things moving so that i could get back to normal.  so, i put my elbow on the pillow and raised my arm up and tried to bend my wrist backwards.

the room started spinning, a feeling of nausea started and i felt really light headed.  the pain was really intense.  so i nicely let the nurse know that I might pass out and she laid me down, put a cool cloth on my head and told me to close my eyes.  please stop spinning i told my head.  after about 5 minutes and the tech's checking on me every 10 seconds, i sat up again.  feeling a little less optimistic about my day, I decided to not try any heroics again.

the doc came by to let me know that things were healing up and asked me to put my hands together like i was praying.  as soon as i did, guess what happened?  they laid me back down again and then told me i'd be there for a while.  not really the start i'd hoped to my day.

things i confirmed when i got my cast off - they are not urban legends:

  • that chocolate milk i spilt down my cast 3 weeks prior didn't curdle, but wasn't pretty either
  • whatever conditions exist under a cast are amazing for hair growth, so maybe people should cast their receding hairlines for 6 weeks?
  • you do actually need to moisturize more than every 6 weeks or your skin might flake off for days - some call it exfoliation i guess
thanks to my physio, i also found out i didn't have one fracture but several and they were only partially healing according to the last xray.  all key pieces of information that i somehow didn't get.  so although i can't do a full workout yet, i can run again, shampoo my hair with two hands and open most jars.  it all seems like a luxury to me now.  

2 weeks to vacay sans kid...crazy!  

nite, nite
tasha

2 comments:

  1. Hope your arm gets better soon!!

    check out http://www.williamsgirl.com/2011/03/cherry-on-top.html

    xoxo
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a cast, which is extremely surprising if you know me, and I hope I never do. Ewwww I had a vision of having 1 totally man hair arm. hahaha

    Hope you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete